Episode 18 - 'Awaken to Community Volunteering'
with Paul Hinchcliffe
19th August 2020
The Awakening Empty Nester Podcast
Today’s pod guest is a wonderful empty nester, grandfather of 6, and active and passionate community volunteer here at Tamborine Mountain in Queensland Australia: Paul Hinchcliffe
Born in 1956, in Dover in the UK, Paul has had many varied experiences and learned much along the way. He served in the banking industry for nearly four decades, is passionate about sport and especially loves hiking.
As you will hear during the conversation, Paul epitomises the three pillars we believe are essential for living an extraordinary life: experience, contribution and growth.
Since becoming an empty nester and retiring a few years ago, Paul has immersed himself into travel with his wife Deborah, hiked thousands of kilometres, and overcome a 22 year-long health issue. At home on the mountain, he spends much time with his two families, his wife, children, and grandchildren, and with his Orange Family, the team at the SES [State Emergency Service].
It was an honour to have Paul as our guest, a man who leads with compassion, shows resilience to overcome tough physical and mental challenges, and most importantly, serves his community with pure intent to make a difference. We know that, as we did, you too will be inspired!
In This Episode Find Out:
- The early years (01:15)
- Resilience through challenge (02:40)
- Back of a truck banking in Papua New Guinea in the 1970s (03:30)
- Family first (07:15)
- Empty nester musings (08:15)
- Empowering and loving his children (09:55)
- The start of Paul’s volunteering journey (11:00)
- Paul’s love of coaching and teamwork (15:00)
- Some of Paul’s leadership tips (17:30)
- Two reasons Paul joined the SES (18:45)
- What does SES training involve? (21:00)
- Various examples of how the SES helps the community (24:00)
- Benefits of volunteering (31:00)
- Finishing the Kokoda Challenge (33:00)
- Overcoming Crohn’s Disease (36:00)
Connect with Paul Hinchcliffe:
Other Resources Mentioned in Podcast:
Join the SES
YouTube [Paul’s Hikes & SES role]
- UK hike in 2014 = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JovYmcyuFuk&t=33s
- Team Orange finishing Kokoda Challenge = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPHky-vwyy0
- Team Orange Training = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFLw00hNtwQ
- Hiking the Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjHIDDc1YmY
- SES Volunteer Video 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrmIRdfvNAM
Wordpress [Living with Crohn’s + UK Hikes]